23 October 2005

Somewhat surreal evening

So, Donna, the girl from Connecticut here at the hostel, had met this guy who played in Hungarian reggae/ska band and they were playing Saturday night not far from the hostel. Donna had a housewarming party to go to but said to meet her at the club around midnight.

So,,, Charlotte and Matt from New Zealand and I took off about midnight in search of the club. We get to where it should be and there's just offices and apartments and a Hotel. We ask at the hotel and the guy says it's just 3 houses down the street. We go further down, nothing, but we stop and ask a couple of people standing on the sidewalk, silently, they point at the door of the place they're standing in so in we go. We can hear music and we follow it up the stairs, which are crowded with people out for a smoke. A lot of them seem to be using sign language and as we got to the top and go in, it turns out that everyone is signing! There's a bar there so we go and order a beer and since this is obviously a deaf party there is no need whatsoever to worry about our lack of Hungarian so we point, guilt free at our preferred tipple and all is fine.

After a half hour or so, a guy next to me starts to sign, obviously he thinks because of my hearing aids I'm there like everyone else for a night out amongst the hearing impaired. Unfortunately, I can't sign and I have no way of telling him that so I pull out my passport and show him that I'm American and then he tries signing again (in International Sign Language maybe?) but it's no use. He gets a little agitated, leaves and comes back with a guy with a security badge around his neck. He signs at me, nothing of course, so we start heading to the door, finish our beers and leave after a few more minutes. It wasn't threatening or anything, just very awkward. On the way out, Charlotte spoke to someone who was Irish so I don't think it was my nationality that was the problem but the lack of sign language. It's too bad I don't sign, it could have been a very interesting evening.

After leaving, we found our way to the New Orleans club near the Oktogon, they were playing bad 80s dance music and there were some very drunken Hungarians speaking very bad english. On our way out we talked to a couple of American girls who were on their way to Romania to spend Halloween in Transylvania, that sounds sort of cool! We got back around 5:30 and I don't really think I'll see much outside of the hostel today!


Lyle

No comments: